Ad Of The Day

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tioman Island - Snorkelling Trip

Our purpose of this trip is to snorkel. So, we made our enquiries at the activities counter in Paya Beach Resort. We wanted to go on 5 different spots and was quoted 70RM per pax which was different from the quotation that Paya Beach Resort gave us through the email. When I enquired the receptionist on the price again, they are not very open in quoting the price, the way they replied me seems to be hiding something like this. Their replied was " I am not sure about it, You have to ask that man over there (the operator)." I told the lady I was quoted 50RM for the full snorkelling trip when i enquired in singapore through them and their price list inside the room indicated 50RM as well. She just kept quiet and walked away. Since we were quoted 70RM from the operator, we decided to approach another operator on the island. This time, another operator on the island quoted me 400RM for a personal speed boat and she mentioned lunch was provided. Since the speed boat was only catered for the 6 of us and lunch was provided. We decided to buy her package even though it average out to 67RM per pax.

The next day, we set out around 10am instead of 9am because one of my friend had a terrible headache. They were quite flexible with the timing as there were only 6 of us going on the speed boat. As promised, our spots included

Tulai Island(Coral Island) - 2 different spots.
Salang Island (Lunch will also be there)
Renggis Island
Marine Park
Total: 400RM

Snorkel Mask and Life Jacket: 15RM for whole day (easily available beside the reception counter)
Bread:3RM for the bigger loaves. 1.50RM for the smaller one.

I had a terrible time on the boat maybe because I had too much beer the night before. I puked two times throughout the whole journey even when I had already took sea sick pills. Two voted spots are the first stop at Tulai and Renggis Island. We did not have a chance to snorkel at Salang Island as that stupid speed boat operator kept hurrying us to the next stop. I thought that was agreed in the package?? Moreover there are NO people except us. The best part was THERE WERE NO LUNCH PROVIDED! Felt SO CHEATED! I even saw the price stated clearly in Salang. For 70RM, you can go for the REAL full round trip that include Waterfall.

As I only paid 50RM for the deposit, I went back and confronted the woman who sold us the package. She denied saying lunch was provided and I tried to negotiate the price with her. Anyway tioman is their territory, so I just LPPL paid for the balance. So, if you guys are first timer to Tioman, remember to ask clearly. However, if you are choosing to go for their 2 spots snorkel trip, it would just be 35RM which is quite standard and they will indicate the price clearly on their board.

Since we enjoyed the trip, we just forget it lah! :)

Setting out for snorkelling, waiting at the jetty for the speed boat

Trying to take a shot on the speed boat...

First Spot, Tulai Island ( There are many corals and fishes here)

That is me posing a victory sign while i snorkel

Second Spot, It is just the other side of Tulai (not much fishes)

This is Salang and I think they have more activities over here. This place seems to be more crowded. Perhaps next time i shall try staying at Salang Beach.
The water in Salang is much more clearer than Paya Beach and the sand are white

Some of the resorts at Salang

Another resort at Salang Beach

After our lunch at Salang, we proceeded to Marine Park

Fishes At Marine Park are very big, different from those I saw previously.

Dear friend getting ready to snorkel at Marine Park

Last spot, Renggis Island... Feeding the fishes. Another place with corals.
Back to Paya beach jetty and found many oysters under paya beach jetty. I saw some at Marine Park and it was much more bigger than those found at Paya Beach Jetty. Oysters can be found sticking onto the wall or pole. Remember to go and observe the oysters if you go tioman. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi der, im wandering 35RM for Snorkeling is for how long duration ? 1-2hours..???

Pls advise... Cos im goin June :)) or u may email me : rhyapong@yahoo.com :D